Monday, June 20, 2005

On becoming a wash up

So me and Smooth did our 10 mile bike ride loop today and on the way back we ran into my buddy HB and a group of people playing ultimate frisbee at one of the high schools. So we decided to prove ourselves. I use to be part of the UPA which is the Ultimate Players Association and was considering playing frisbee seriously at The University of Rhode Island and also playing for the NY/NJ/CT Metro just about 4 or 5 years ago. In my peak, I was actually HB's frisbee teacher and taught him the game. We use to practice once a day, throwing, running, working cuts, all that shit. Then when I was 19 I was running through my neighbors yard and got my leg caught on his dog's leash and smacked my left knee really hard on the concrete. It swelled up for a few days but went down no more than a week later. But the damage was done. I developed patella tendonitis, but wasn't sure what it was for about a year and after a few knee scoping contemplations. I sat out inactive for about a year before I even attempted to get back on the courts for basketball and then headed out to the fields. I was clearly out of my league now. I could barely run, but I still had all the skills in tact. Today though, was absolutely embarrassing. I couldn't catch, I couldn't throw, I couldn't run. I was so fucking pissed at myself that I just wanted to leave. There were over-weight, out-of-shape fucks out on that field showing me up. Even Smooth who was never that good, showed more promise than me. HB, my prodigy, was amazing. I must mention that now he is all state in division 1 track & field. And God bless him. He fucking kicked ass out there. I never felt so old and busted down....

Until two minutes after we left the field and saw this girl driving that me and Smooth use to try to keep out of trouble at our job 5 years ago. I guess she's 16 now.

Other than that, Smooth found someone's cell phone on the side of the street and charged it up when we got back home and called someone in the phone to come and pick it up. Pretty random but I thought I would throw that in there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home